Bobby Hauck does not deserve to be a head football coach

Bobby Hauck has grown too big for Missoula and the University of Montana. I'm sure this is what he envisioned all along. He'd steer the program to win after win as he transformed into this larger-than-life persona. He's close, but a bit off. Bobby Hauck has put himself above the University, the students and everything an upright program should stand for.

This recent spat with the editors of The Kaimin is just one more thing to add to his already damaging résumé. Hauck feels as though he doesn't need to comment on the fact that a few of his players may or may not have beat the hell out of a University of Montana student. Sure, that may be true, the case was never reported to authorities, but treat the students who cover you with a bit of respect and possibly even a shred of class. Reporters do not deserve to be ignored at press conferences and swore at when asking questions in other venues.

Not only has this mistreatment of the local media been a staple of Bobby Hauck's tenure here at Montana, but so have these violent incidents.  It isn't just here either. Bobby Hauck served as the recruiting coordinator at the University of Washington and played a hand in building one of the most purely evil teams in the history of football

So let that be his legacy. Forget the wins, forget that mask. Yes, I know coaches are hired to win football games but it should not come at the cost of a university's pride and dignity. In my mind, the negativity, animosity and separatism that he has brought between the football program and the students who support it is not worth the wins.

When an athletic director is thinking about hiring him and decides to Google his name to see what people think of him, let them find this. When fans consider suggesting a new coach and want to see what's out there, do not think Bobby Hauck. He will win games, but at what cost? On the field, he is a good football coach. But to the media and in other areas off of it? Certainly not.  Don't hire him.

Sidenote: Griz win.

Update: I've received a few comments on this post after the Griz beat App State to advance to Chattanooga. Before I move on, I have to say I'm impressed by anyone who has the confidence to fire off an anonymous comment two months after this was posted, and only after Bobby Hauck got the Griz to the National Championship game. Takes balls. Well done.

Let me state that I love what Hauck has done on the field. He wins games. Period. I'm a huge Montana fan and definitely a bigtime supporter of Griz football. I'm thrilled the Griz will play for a National Championship game for the second consecutive year and the only disappointment I have surrounding this week is that I won't make it to Chattanooga after I had the opportunity to make the 2,000 mile drive there from Missoula last year.

Nevertheless, I'd be extremely hesitant to hire Bobby Hauck if I were the AD of Pac 10/WAC/Big East/whatever school. Before you say "that's why you're not" let me state that it's a big risk at best and horrible disaster of "how did you not see this coming?!" proportions at worst. I've stated my opinion on the matter and this current run the Griz are on doesn't change anything. He wins games. We knew that. Some people won't agree with my opinion on things, I understand that, but I'll continue to state it. He'll get a job, I know that, and good for him when he does.

You can still see the comments for this post here and I've even posted the ones from people who actually left an email address, even though it's probably fake. At least they tried. As far as new comments, they're really not. I've heard it before and the conversation isn't changing.

Trackbacks (0) Links to blogs that reference this article Trackback URL
Comments (24) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
- October 18, 2009 9:43 PM

good post. i do differ with you on one point though. i am rooting for the um griz to keep winning and take it all this year so that we can get rid of the s.o.b. if they win the title someone will give him an offer....i hope.

Charlie - October 20, 2009 1:12 PM

Nice job, man. I think you scooped ESPN on this one! It is mentioned in Pat Forde's column today...it's number 19 - "Bum of the half-year"

Love it. Let's hope the Griz win a title and Hauck takes a job as a UCLA assistant or something...

Tom - October 22, 2009 9:12 AM

Welcome to the real sports world girls. Head coaches owe the media absolutely ZERO. Here's a reality check for you haters, Hauck is/was hired to win games and create revenue for the University. As far as your title "Bobby Hauck does not deserve to be a head football coach" I'll let his record speak for itself.

Colin O'Keefe - October 22, 2009 9:32 AM

The real world? If you think Hauck is operating in the 'real sports world', you're an idiot. Bobby Hauck is operating in a market where the three biggest media outlets are Phil Buck's KPAX, a dying daily and the student newspaper. Even with that, he still cannot handle the media or any amount of pressure or scrutiny from them. On top of that, he's built a program mired in violent incidents.

His inability to deal with the media alone would make me very hesitant to hire him to a head coaching job on the FBS level. With the off-field transgressions added to his résumé, he'd be virtually un-hirable for a head coaching job in my mind.

Hauck's job isn't simply to 'win games and generate revenue', he's tasked with the role of also building upon the university's strong reputation and serving as an ambassador for the school, not getting national recognition for being a jerk to its students.

Ted - October 22, 2009 11:53 AM

Colin; excellent post. Myself and I'm sure other Griz fans agree with you. Bobby Hauck should not be placed on a pedestal.

Chris - October 22, 2009 1:45 PM

So his attempt to shield his players from unneeded scrutiny about an incident that happened back in the spring makes him unable to deal with the media? Really? I think it goes both ways. You as the media ask a question and the coach/player chooses to answer it. If the coach/player refuses to answer it then why continue to ask the same questions over and over again? I applaud Bobby for protecting his student athletes from the media dogging them for something that was handled internally and all parties were happy with the outcome. What's to gain with this type of Journalism anyway? If Bobby had not disciplined these athletes internally and sat these individuals out of the game then you buffoons would have never known there to be anything wrong. And this athlete witch hunt would have never transpired. So maybe the lesson learned here is to not punish his athletes unless they are caught by the law. That way the jealous pencil pushers won't know that there is anything wrong.

Colin O'Keefe - October 22, 2009 2:26 PM

Alright, let's break this down.

Yes, the fact that he needed to sweep this under the rug and then swear at reporters when asked about the incident means he cannot handle the media. As does holding a personal grudge against the reporters and refusing to answer all questions from the Kaimin. Say he goes to UCLA (he won't, they have a coach) and one of his players get a DUI. What if an LA Times reporter asks him to comment on the issue? Can he ignore that reporter and all future comments from the LA times? No. Deal.

Because there is a history of this happening and at some point he should comment on the ridiculous amount of embarrassing violent incidents his program has produced.

Bobby was protecting himself more than anyone. He hoped this would never get out and processed it as best he could with that goal in mind.

As far as everyone being happy with this outcome. I don't think the student body or the reporters are happy with it. Hey, as long as everyone inside the football program's happy that actually means everyone's happy, right? Um, no.

Are you really proposing this? "Do whatever you want guys, just don't get caught by the law and I won't do anything about it." Don't think that's the solution.

As far as "what's to gain", it's their job. When a program's players continue to commit violent acts, it deserves to be reported and action should be taken.

That way the jealous pencil pushers won't know that there is anything wrong.

Aaaand there goes the last shred of credibility. This is always fallback argument for whenever a reporter covers something anyone wishes they didn't. THEY'RE JEALOUS! Yeah, I'm sure Roman Stubbs and Allison Maier wishes it was *them* out there on the field or getting that recognition. They're so jealous that they need to report these stories because maybe then they'll be just as popular! Get a grip. It's their job and they're reporting on things that are worth covering. I'm sure whoever blew open the Barry Bonds case reported on it because he was jealous of Bonds' fame. Get it together.

Tom - October 22, 2009 3:37 PM

Colin, this article sheds absolutely nothing new on this subject. You took a hot topic and regurgitated the same crap to get hits on your website. I guess this only proves the "dying daily" has nothing to worry about, as far as competition, from a wanna be, hack blogger such as yourself. I look forward to your next topic you steal from the Egriz headlines.

Colin O'Keefe - October 22, 2009 3:49 PM

I haven't been on eGriz in months and I'm not trying to compete with the Missoulian. I have an opinion on the matter and I also have a blog...thus, the post on why Bobby Hauck should not be a head football coach. If it's been regurgitated so much then I guess there are many people who side with the notion that Hauck's actions permanently damage his reputation and he doesn't deserve another chance at this. I'm glad.

As far as 'not adding anything', your comment does just that. If you disagree with the post say that. If you've seen this so many times then why bother? I don't come over to the 'Cascade County Wind' podcast and call you a 'hack podcaster'. This is my opinion and I'm defending it while you attack...what, the fact that there are already a ton of people out there who agree with me?

Tom - October 22, 2009 4:11 PM

Well Colin I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this matter. I believe the record crowds, winning record and the millions in revenue Hauck has helped bring to the U speak for themselves, but then again there is no pleasing the haters. GO GRIZ.

Deb - October 22, 2009 9:55 PM

I have to agree with colin. under Haucks tenure as coach, the grizzlies have become a joke. they are great players on the field, but embarrasing men off the field. their behaviors are outrageous! a year doesn't go by that there isn't one or another of the players getting in trouble due to drugs, alcohol or violance. they have given Missoula as well as the game of football a black eye. Hauck needs to take a paige out of Coach Mike Van Diest's handbook. He knows how to coach a team who knows how to win on and off the field.

Colin O'Keefe - October 23, 2009 9:09 AM

I don't know what qualifies as being a 'hater' but I know I'd be pleased if Hauck ran a cleaner program and dealt with the media better. With this story it could've been as simple as "Our football program has a policy where we will not comment on matters where no charges were pressed. The issue has been dealt with internally and is now completely resolved." Instead, he swore at reporters, tried to cover up the mics and now doesn't speak to them.

I don't think this is too much to ask.

Bob - October 23, 2009 3:42 PM

What a loser. I'm not referring to football; I'm referring to life. All you enablers are as sick as he is. See Pearlman's SI article. That says it all.

DW - October 24, 2009 11:57 AM

The Bobby apologists have no idea how much damage his immaturity, manifested most recently in his passive journalist-baiting, is doing to his reputation in the bigger world of college football. Coaches are hired to be leaders of men, not "one of the boys." Bobby's acute problem comes not, as he claims, from his refusal to re-answer questions, but from refusal to answer the questions at all.

Here is a news flash: even cub reporters have ways to get to the bottom of the story, even if the prime source won't cooperate. Read the Kaimin articles, and unless you consider brown-nosing to be the measure of "fair and balanced" reporting,the villan here is clearly the one who won't answer questions about "old news" that got old before it became news only because it had been kept under the rug.

When Bobby interviews for BCS jobs in December, and is still coaching the Grizzlies in March, he can refer to the old, but still valid, adage: "Don't argue with a man who buys his ink by the barrel."

Don - October 24, 2009 2:48 PM

nice work, Colin. This whole issue really brings out the Griz loyalists whose self-esteem is attached to the team's winning percentage. Hauck--not the media-- has dug his own grave on this one.

Devin - October 25, 2009 7:05 PM

Great article I agree 100 percent. I'm tired of Griz football being put above everything around here. Its just getting real old pretty soon its gonna be "UM student killed by griz football player and Bobby Hauck decides hes gonna handle it internally." If you are tired of the local school paper asking about your players screwing up maybe run your program with a bit more discipline or don't recruit kids with character issues. My personal opinion is about half the football players here think they rule everything around here and can do whatever they want. Not all of them though we do have some great student athletes at this school who perform well on and off the field. Just really sick of Griz football in general its tough for me to support a team run by a douschebag like Bobby Hauck.

A. Non Amus - October 26, 2009 4:44 PM

This is America, am I wrong? 5th amendment people!

Pete - October 26, 2009 11:42 PM

In response to the amount of revenue that Hauck has generated for the University I would like to say that doesn't matter. The athletic department gets that money not the University. It doesn't go to build any new buildings or help keep tuition low in fact they are talking about raising it, so the amount that is generated mean nothing. Second I just don't get what the big deal is about the griz. I mean it's not even good football, and the fans are the ones who help generate this environment. People in this town simply ignore it as long as the griz win. It now makes since why Hauck recruits thugs, he himself is one.

- October 27, 2009 4:32 PM

In an attempt to not lower myself to Bobby Haucks level I will not print the word that most comes to mind when I think about him. I will say from personal experience that he himself acts like a child in the way he manages his temper and treats those around him. I once had the privilege of having a pass to stand on the sidelines at a game. After a Griz turnover he was furious and in looking to vent his temper came after me. Let me repeat, "me," not a player, not an assistant coach, but a spectator, a fan, and the lifeblood of any athletic program. After being cussed at and publicly berated (my only crime being my presence) I stormed back to the stands with my resolve shaken about being a Griz fan. In his own little world the people around him are just more players, no belay that, they're pawns, pawns that he feels entitled to order around and to treat in any way as long as it serves his agenda. It's about time that someone stands up to him.

Bruce Micklus - October 27, 2009 5:31 PM

Dumb as fence post. Most successful CEO's know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em. Hauck could have easily defused this situation that has been a non-winning hand from the very beginning.
He has probably cost himself millions of dollars,
what major college program would ever take a chance on a guy with so much baggage he couldn't fit it all in an 18 wheeler. So much for our great leader of young men. No wonder the
program has run into as many problems as it has. Everybody makes mistakes, the key is to realize when you have and then try to make amends, not dig your hole deeper and deeper.
As I said before, dumb as a fence post. go griz

Devin - October 28, 2009 12:00 AM

Pete sums it up perfectly

mark - October 29, 2009 11:53 AM

This was was great article!!! Hauck has forgoten than this program has had pride and traditon way before he ever got here this isnt his program, its the players and the fans all over the country.We we have been spoiled with coaches in the past who have relized that they are just part of somthing great not out for their own.

farawayobserver - December 13, 2009 10:28 AM

14-0. you're complaining? call the police if you've got a gripe. avoid becoming a whiner. i can hear you, from 3500 miles away.

in the end, you've got lots of losers. the way the Kaimin handled things, you have losers at UM. Bad move; putting it in print to feature the Cal Poly guy in GameDay. you've solidified the base. what do you expect of the players? they're winning. lets see, do I choose my coach, at 14-0, or the penpal?
do I choose a name caller, or the show me guy?

Sam - December 13, 2009 10:56 PM

I've got one question, over Bobby Hauck's tenure, how many football players have be excellent students and a positive influence on the town and college. I'd be willing to bet the number of positive peronalities out way the negative on the Griz teams.

Send To A Friend Use this form to send this entry to a friend via email.